Yes they are easy. And yes they are delicious! Keep microwave mug cake recipes on hand – just for emergencies.
Mug cakes come in handy when you have a craving for a treat but hate the thought of making a big dessert or jumping in the car to drive to the shop. Guaranteed, these personal-sized snacks are the easiest single serving way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
And when the kids get a bit whiny on a rainy day, microwave mug cakes will put a smile right back on their faces.
Easy Ingredients for Mug Cakes
Most mug cake recipes are easy, with ingredients you already have in the home. And if you follow a special diet like keto, you will probably have some non-wheat flours and some non-sugar sweetners at hand to use.
What is a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is literally as it sounds. A cake that is made in a mug! Of course you can make it in a cup or in a mason jar, if you prefer.
Mug cakes are great because you don’t need to whip out a bunch of tools, and most cakes take only a few minutes in the microwave to bake.
Some Mug Cake Facts
- Although most mug cake recipes are quick and easy, it helps if you are familiar with some of the finer points of this type of baking.
- Remember – all microwaves are different and you can easily get different results. You can even overcook the mug cake if you aren’t careful. My microwave is 950 watts and I usually cook mine on 100% power for 70-90 seconds. Knowing this information, it may help you to better judge how long to cook yours for and at what power.
- So many people follow different diets – some for weight loss, some for health. But don’t worry – there is a cake in the mug recipe perfect for you. You can make these cakes with alternative flour like almond flour and you can make them with or without eggs.
- If you want a different look to your cake, don’t use a mug, use a mason jar.
- One of the most important tips: if you’re going to make a mug cake is to make sure that your mug is big enough or it may “bubble” over while baking in the microwave. If the mixture should take up about ¾ of the mug.
- Spray the mug generously with cooking spray before adding the batter and baking it. That way, when the cake is cooked, you can just run a knife around the edges to loosen it and tip the delicious cake out – ready to eat.
- Place a paper towel into the microwave and set the mug on top (this is to catch any batter if your mug cake overflows).
Quick & Easy Low Carb Mug Bread Recipe (via Kirbie’s Cravings)
1/2 a tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil)
-2 large eggs
-1/2 a cup of almond flour
-3/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
Just assemble everything in a coffee mug and mix.
Pop in the microwave for 2 mins 20 seconds.
Microwave Cake in a Mug – In a Packet
Of course, if you want to take a shortcut, you can always bake Microwave Cake in a mug in a packet like this Easy to Bake Microwave Chocolate Cake-in-a-Mug from Woolies. All you need to add to the packet is some milk and then you cook it in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds.